Causes Watery Eyes And How To Overcome – When winking, the glands on the eyelids will produce a little tear in order to moisturize your sense of sight and remove foreign objects from it. Production of tears becomes more when you yawn, laughing or crying. But, there are some people who may experience watery eyes constantly.
Causes Watery Eyes And How To Overcome
In addition to salt-containing fluids (tears), other glands on the eyelid also produce oil. This substance can prevent tears from evaporating too quickly.
Watery eyes can occur when the oil producing glands do not work properly. This makes the tears quickly evaporate and make it dry faster. Dry eyes are what stimulate the production of tears in excess, causing watery eyes.
This condition can also be caused by :
- Weather or environmental factors around the eyes, such as smoke, angina, or too bright light.
- Clogged tear ducts.
- There are foreign objects or chemicals in the eye.
- Inflammation of the eyelid.
- Infection of one part of the eye.
- Eyelashes grow inward.
- Influence of drugs.
- Thyroid disorders.
- Chronic sinusitis.
- Radiation therapy
- Bell’s palsy.
Watery eyes are also related to age. This condition is common in infants and people over the age of 60 years.
How to Overcome Watering Eyes
Mostly, watery eyes do not require special care because they can improve on their own. But sometimes, this condition can be a chronic problem that requires special handling.
Here are some ways to cope with watery eyes adjusted for the cause :
- Compressing the eyes with a warm wet towel for several times a day can cope with clogged tears.
- Eyedrops may be used to treat dry eyes.
- Doctors may prescribe antibiotic drugs to treat watery eyes caused by conjunctivitis or other eye infections.
- If the cause is allergic, taking antihistamine drugs can help overcome them.
- Minor medical action can be done to overcome the lashes that grow inward or there is a foreign object in the eye.
- Your doctor may recommend an operation path if there is a blockage in your tear ducts.
The watery eye in the baby is usually caused by a blockage of the tear ducts. Usually the blockage of the tear duct in the baby can improve on its own without special treatment.
But, you can speed healing by massaging the tear ducts using a clean index finger. Perform a gentle massage starting from the corner of your baby’s eyes and ending up to the part of the eye adjacent to the nose. This massage can be done for several times each day for several months.
But if the condition has not improved, the operation path may be an option.
Actual treatment may not be necessary if the watery eye does not interfere with your daily activities. However, consult your doctor immediately if you have prolonged watery eyes accompanied by pain, reddened eyes, irritation, bleeding, bruising around the eyes, severe headaches, vision problems, or even making you unable to see at all.