Ingredients Chanko-nabe (Makes for 4 people)
- 280 grams of chicken thigh meat
- 200 grams of cabbage
- 150 grams of radishes
- 1/2 carrot
- 1 negi (Japanese leek)
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 6 cups (1.2 liter) broth dashi (a way of making dashi broth can see recipe chawan-mushi ever aired 30 September 2011)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce Japanese or soyu
- 1 tea spoon of salt
- White sesame seeds to taste
- Diced chicken the size of 3 cm
- Peel the turnips and cut vertically into four sections on the chopping block. Thinly sliced radishes every section thickness of 5 mm
- Cut off and discard the top and peeled carrots. Then cut lengthwise into two parts. Lay each piece thinly sliced carrots and carrot slant with a thickness of 4 mm. Cut off and discard the tough bottom cabbage and cut each leaf of cabbage with a size of 4 cm. Cut the leek oblique angle with a length of approximately 4 cm and a thickness of 4 mm. Cut the shiitake mushrooms into two parts.
- Create a dashi broth to boil 6.5 cups (1.3 liters) of water to the boil. Add 18 g Katsuo-bushi or grated dried skipjack. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1 or 2 minutes. Strain the broth through a sieve.
- Enter dashi broth into a large saucepan and boil until boiling. Add chicken. When it boils again, reduce the flame and simmer for 5 minutes, remove the pulp and foam that floats to the surface. After 5 minutes, season with 1 tablespoon
- Enter vegetables, starting with radishes and carrots take longer when cooked. Then add the shiitake mushrooms. Cover the pan and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Finally, add the cabbage and leeks, then boiled again for 2 to 3 minutes. Currently already overstuffed cabbage, taste the broth, add a little salt and soyu if needed. Serve in a bowl. Insert meat, vegetables and broth to taste. If you like, sprinkle with white sesame seeds.