Why Pregnant Women Often Have Swollen Eyes – For Mother who is pregnant, ever wake up in the morning with eyes heavy and swollen? Swollen eyes in pregnant women often occur and to some extent can be considered normal. Even so, keep in mind also that the factor of age and fatigue can make eye bags look more prominent.
Why Pregnant Women Often Have Swollen Eyes
Swelling around the eyes or its medical terms periorbital swelling is often caused by a buildup of fluid in the tissues in the area around the eye called the orbital. Minor swelling is usually seen only at the bottom of the eye, although in some cases it can also be seen around the eyes. The periorbital eye or tissue is the most visible area of swelling on waking, possibly because of the gravitational factor as our body lies down to make the fluid re-accumulate in the tissue.
Here are some causes of puffy eyes in pregnant women.
- Retention or fluid retention. As the baby’s weight increases, the blood vessels in the stomach and legs come under pressure to keep the body fluid in certain areas, such as the eye area or other areas of the body. As a result, swelling of the eyes and skin area of the face, as well as in other related body areas.
- Lack of sleep. Panda eyes aka dark circles around the eyes and swelling of the eye is the appearance of pregnant women in general, especially in the third trimester. This is because pregnant women often have difficulty getting a good night’s sleep, especially when it’s hard to find a comfortable position. In the end, fatigue and poor circulation can lead to the formation of dark circles and bags under the eyes.
- Too much salt. This can encourage fluid retention and can cause swollen eyes.
How To Overcome Swelling Eyes
The ideal solution to overcome the swelling of the eyes is to sleep more. But for instant handling steps, Mother can do some of the following.
- Compress the eyes with cold water. Wet the fabric with ice water and place it over your eyes for a few minutes. Cold temperatures work to constrict blood vessels to prevent fluid flow into the tissues around the eyes. Ultimately effective in removing swelling.
- Change your diet and lifestyle for the better. For example by reducing the intake of salt or more prior to the consumption of foods rich in vitamins. Mother can also seek advice from a doctor or midwife about how the diet and lifestyle are recommended.
- Raise head position during sleep. Use some pillows to support the head to prevent the accumulation of fluids that cause puffy eyes due to gravity.
- Cosmetic manipulation. If swollen eyes are disturbing appearance, you can also use cosmetic makeup to disguise it. Use an eye cream or serum containing peptides and aloe vera. These ingredients will help moisturize the eye area and reduce swelling. In the meantime, to remove dark circles under the eyes, try using an eye-toning cream, although the results may not be immediately apparent. Therefore, if you want to immediately remove the panda eye before the party invitation, apply also concealer designed specifically for the eye area.
Swollen eyes are usually only a minor distraction on appearance for a while, but if the swelling that occurs is severe and prolonged despite the above steps, consult a doctor to anticipate the possibility of signs to serious medical conditions.